Tuesday, July 7, 2009

7/7/09 Tuesday: I'm BAAACCCKKKK! 2009 Liberty Island Race

Hi Everyone! It's been quite some time as I took the past 10 months off of swimming. But I'm BAAACCCKKK!!! On Friday June 26th I took part in the first race around the Statue of Liberty. I had swum maybe 5-6 times before the race in the past 10 months but figured it was short distance so I could tough it out. I did fine, placed 16th and was the 6th female finisher. But I learned how out of shape I really was. It was time to get back in the water. I have now completed my first week back into training. IT HURTS! Slowly but surely I am picking up some speed but it will take me some time to get back to the place I was 10 months ago. July 25th I will be heading up to VT with my good buddy George Hunihan (and family) to compete in a 10 mile Lake race. I'm excited but only have 3 more weeks of training before the swim. My goal is to finish without being dragged off the bottom of the Lake. Baby steps ;)

Below is a link from the Statue of Liberty swim (pictures still to come). Keep an eye out at 2:25, the woman with the red swedish goggles is me! So cool! Until next time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BleYzScv8FY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnycswim%2Eorg%2F&feature=player_embedded

2 comments:

Sarah said...

where is VT is the lake race?? We should try and get together for a drink or something!!

suzie d said...

Please keep me in the loop about the VT race, something for next year.
Thanks again for all you did for me for MIMS.
Let me know when you come to SF and good luck w the new, new job!