Sunday, August 10, 2008

8/10/08 Sunday: 6 Days Out!

Today Jim and I went up to Lake Zohr in Newton CT. We swam there last weekend and to our surprise on the way back they opened the dam our last 1/2 mile of the swim. At that point you have no choice but to swim against the current until you hit the dock.. The Lake is perfect...no red jellyfish and no sharks.

Today's swim was a bit different than last week. We got in and around 20 minutes into the swim we realized the dam was open. We turned around to head back to the dock but after three minutes we thought they had closed the dam. So we turned around to head back down to the bridges. No such luck, around 30 minutes we stopped and the current was hauling!!! I was having so much fun, knowing full well it was going to be a tough swim back to the dock. At this point we decided it was time to turn around and head back. I just kept thinking that it was great training for the Channel. I was laughing when I saw the plants below us being blown straight in the opposite direction than we were swimming instead of standing straight up. You know it's a tough swim when you see that! It took us 1 hour and 15 minutes against the current to make it back to the dock, tough swimming but tougher swimmers. I was pleased. Last hard swim before the full taper sets in this week.

George Hunihan and Liz Fry are over in the UK awaiting their swims. George is there for a second time after getting blown out last summer for his first solo attempt. Liz is over there for her second two-way attempt. I talked to George today and he said he may be blown out until next weekend. He and Suzanne may stay in Dover through next weekend to try and get his swim in. Deni and I land on Saturday so it will be nice to have George there on my first day. I haven't been able to catch up with Liz yet to see what her plan is. I hope their keeping their heads up with the tough weather challenges!

One week left!!!

No comments: