Monday, August 25, 2008

8/25/08 Monday: I wouldn't let the Queen of London swim before you love!

Sad day in the Victoria House. George and Suzanne finally departed to head back to the States. George and I went down for a swim this morning and the winds were up again. It was a great time but George's last for the year. After that we had some tea and saw them off. They were thrilled to be going home successful. We were all so happy for them as well. George really did a great job and should be so proud of himself.

On my front things took a very interesting turn today. This morning at the Victoria House and down at the beach the Australian team was giving quite a bit of pressure to allow them to skip ahead of me. Let me back up a bit...I am third in the q to swim with Reg. Both 1 and 2 swimmers have gone. John from Australia is 4th. So back to the story, they really would like to get John out in the Channel before they all leave on Friday. Unfortunately, I also lose my crew on Friday. So I am standing firm in place and will not be conceding my position. I do feel bad as I want John to be successful in his swim but unfortunately for him the reality of the situation is that I am next and not giving up my position. I put in a call to Reg as well just to be sure he was on the same page with me and he was so funny. I told him that I wanted to make sure if he received a call from the Aussie team that I was unwilling to concede my position. He started to laugh and said, "If the (beep) Queen of London called and said she wanted to swim in front of you I would tell her no love! You're next in q and that is the way it will stay." This guy is great! There is a woman from India who is swimming a double and claims to be 6th on our q and her father is pushing for the same. Unfortunately, for them I am here for one reason and one reason only...to swim across the English Channel. My turn is next.

The other part of this...when will I swim? It looks like there may be a possibility between Wednesday through Friday but it is still too soon to tell. The winds have been up and it hasn't changed much. I'm being kept occupied so the strain of having to wait hasn't really affected me at all. By Wednesday I will probably start getting a bit nervous. But for the moment, I'm going to just enjoy the journey and take one day at a time.

10 comments:

Mum said...

Go Tobey! You are great at this waiting time. Do not worry the Queen does not swim she hunts.

Anonymous said...

Very un-cool that they'd even expect you to give up your spot in line.

Glad you're well focused and having fun.

~Dean O.

Anonymous said...

Toto, just remember: YOU are the Queen. screw them, your swim is the only important thing. -jared

Unknown said...

T: Screw them.. you're next! No brainer! Same situation, they wouldn't concede to you either. You're the priority! Go get 'em!

P.S.: Phelps was in the UK for the closing ceremonies... told ya naked Olympians waiting for you on the French shores! woohoo! c-nut

Anonymous said...

Tobey! Your spot will be here any day. Stay The Course. Clay

Tobey-Anne Saracino said...

LOL!!! You guys are great! Thanks for all of the support. You all know me well enough that I would not let them roll over me. Looks like we could get the call before the week ends. We'll see how the winds play out.
T

Anonymous said...

Tobey, I love the australians generally but yes, relay teams tend to get pushed to the front- stick to your guns...
suzie d.

Anonymous said...

Get 'em, Tobey! When I was reading this story, I could totally see you saying this word for word, as your reaction heated up. Good luck! Can't wait to read all about your swim across the Channel!!!

Dayna

Tobey-Anne Saracino said...

Thanks for the note Dayna and Suzie. I am really getting excited! Can't wait to swim!!!

Tobey

Anonymous said...

It is now almost a month later and I still think swimmers are nuts!