Monday, August 18, 2008

8/18/08 Monday: HOLY MOLY!!!!!!

Today was a doosey! George and Suzanne are currently stranded here in the UK as they missed their flight so George would have the opportunity to get out for a solo swim and now trying to re-book has been a nightmare for them. They spent 3 hours on the phone with Travelocity and Air India and no such luck. So we decided it was time to head out for a swim.

George dropped Deni and I down at the Harbour and ran to throw clothes in the washer. I met up with the CSA reps from India and Spain. Both wonderful people and very excited about their swimmer's swims. The India rep had me jump in and catch up with his swimmer (Pe-jjew). When I caught up with him it was on the rough side so I quickly introduced myself and asked if he wanted a swim buddy for a bit. He said it would be great. We swam together for an hour and a half and his 3 hour time frame was up. He swam in and I went to find George. i caught up with him and he decided to go another 20 minutes so I went in to shore to meet up with Suzanne and Deni. I had the opportunity to talk to Pe-jjew and his coach for a bit and evidently this 16 or 17 year old kid was going to be doing a double crossing in September. Absolutely incredible!!! We'll probably meet up with them a few more times while we're hear....very nice people.

After our swim we decided to go play a 9-hole round of golf at the 3-par. I can't tell you how much fun we had. I'll send out photos when we get back. We laughed so hard it felt like I pulled the muscles in my stomach. The winds were about 25 mph and we were absolutely all over the place. Needless to say, George and I made it out without injury (How? I have no idea!)...Deni and Suzanne...not so lucky. They caught a little Poison Sumac!!! They both played in shorts and went looking for their balls in the drink and rubbed up against it. The round was fun and the photos are priceless. We laughed hysterically the entire way back to Dover.

Down to business...we are planning to meet our boat captain on Wednesday in Folkestone. At this point we'll talk about the likelihood of getting out. It's too soon to call when we think I'll swim so I'll just keep swimming in the Harbour and keeping it light and fun until it's time to work. We're supposed to have REALLY rough winds and pouring rain tomorrow...should be fun.

Tomorrow our plans include meeting the rest of my crew (Mom and Jaime), renting a sail boat and some swimming too. Maybe Suzanne and George will finally book a flight home!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like your having a great time over there. I love reading your blog. Its the first thing I do when I get to work, well after I get my coffee :)

Tobey-Anne Saracino said...

Hi Sarah!!! I'm glad you are enjoying it. I was just looking at the winds and it looks like we will either swim late this weekned or next Tuesday/Wednesday. So excited!!!
Tobey