Saturday, August 9, 2008

8/9/08, Saturday: 7 Days Out!

After work yesterday I ran to EMS to perfect the efficiency of feeds for my crew. After being on the Committee Boat at SAS I realized how difficult it is to be on the other side. Granted I am so ADHD that trying to sit me still for 10 minutes is difficult much less trying to confine me on a boat!!! Luckily the red jellyfish count was higher than I could actually keep track of so I decided not to jump and swim for it. Sorry, I digress, back to the story...after being on the boat I got a small taste of the other side. I wanted to make the process as easy as possible for the crew. So I rigged my water bottles for quick efficient feeds. IN rough conditions it is goig to be REALLY tough for them to warm my fuel and then get it all in a water bottle. I figured the least I could do is try and make the process a bit easier for them. I also purchased luggage belts for the cooler and got a pair of water proof pants for Jaime. It's all starting to come together.

After, yet another, terrible thunderstorm I ran over to Wilton and swam a quick 7,000 straight working on descending by mile. I felt great, very strong and my times were pretty good. I was feeling great...that is until I hit the Lake with Jim this AM. Holy hell, I almost drown!!! Seriously, it was so bad at one point I swear Jim was swimming next to me on his back doing double arm backstroke with a breastroke kick while squirting water out of his mouth!!! He says I was hallucinating but regardless, it was a bad day. Which actually is good. I want to get all my bad days out while I am here in CT. All my good swims need to be saved up for the big one.

I just received an email from my friend Lynne in Austin (English Channel 2007). It made me laugh! She said, "Remember when we swam to the 360 bridge (in Lake Austin) and my feet turned white?" We can laugh about it now but at the time it looked pretty serious. It seems so normal to us...3 am swims, white feet, pure adrenalin seeing 360...all of it is par for the course. I hope I can pull strength from all these great memories when it's needed most. Lynne, thanks for the amazing memories...especially the white feet!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Dori Miller!!! A fantastic swim (10:16) in a really rough sea! What an amazing effort.

They are forecasting a blow out for next week! Pray for great weather for my friends in waiting!!!

No comments: