Friday, August 8, 2008

8/8/08 Friday: 8 Days Out!!!

Hi Everyone!!! I thought it would be fun to start a blog so everyone can follow the excitement!!! Many of you have asked, "Why are you doing this?". The answer is easy, accepting it seems the hardest for people. The answer...because I can.

In the past three year's I have really become inspired by the amazing people around me that have embraced this sport. The passion is contagious and once it takes hold there is no shaking it. My mother once asked me, "If you won the lottery what would you do?" I told her I would travel the world swimming in every body of water that would have me. My father started to laugh and said, "I told you so Anne." Yes, this is a very crazy sport BUT it's my crazy sport. Some people's passions are to create art or play instruments...my passion is to push my body to the brink and see how it responds. Crazy...yes. Thrilling...ABSOLUTELY!!!

When I was around 5 years old my grandmother told me that one day I would swim the English Channel. I had no clue what she was talking about. She then said I would be like this woman Gertrude. Little did I know then she was talking about the pioneer, Gertrude Ederle. At 19 years old Gertrude, a native New Yorker, became the first woman to successfully swim across the English Channel on August 6, 1925. They gave her a ticker-tape parade down 5th Avenue in NYC. How exciting!!!

My grandmother was an amazing woman who survived 7 different types of cancer in 7 different parts of her body. The woman was a super hero in her own right. I am thrilled to be making this attempt in her honor!

Ok, now down to the nitty gritty! I leave August 16th with my sister Deni. She will be my medical support on the boat as she is a Physician's Assistant in Rhode Island. On the 18th my Mother (Anne) and sister (Jaime) will be making the trip out. Jaime has been my coach on every marathon swim I have attempted. She knows me better than I do when I'm in the water. I trust both of them to make the best possible decisions for me while I'm swimming.

I have continually been asked, "Are you sure you should have your mother on the boat?" I start to laugh every time. If you know my mother you know it's the best thing to have her on the boat! I have no doubt that when I get tired and start thinking about quitting she will lean over the side of the boat and say, "I didn't pay this much money to come all the way over here to see you climb on a boat. Keep swimming until you hit land!" So the answer...YES it's a great idea to have her on the boat! My mother has the resiliency of my grandmother and refuses to quit or allow any one of us to do the same. That's one of the reasons I love her so much! My mother and Deni will be in charge of all the video and photos throughout the swim.

My swim will be with Reg Brickell of the CSA on the Viking Princess. My mentor Dave Parcells was the one to set me up with Reg two years ago. Dave felt Reg would be a great boat Captain for my personality. I'm really excited to get over there and meet him. I wish Dave was still with us, but his legend lives on and I have no doubt he'll be swimming right next to me whispering, "Catch me if you can!" So Dave!

For those of you unfamiliar with the Channel swimming, the way this works...swimmers generally swim on the Neap Tide which happens twice a month in Dover. These Neap Tides are also referred to as Waves. I am in the second wave from August 21-28. I am third in Q (in line) to swim on the Viking Princess. Another CT swimmer, Deb Cashin, is number 1 on the tide. The actual date we swim will all be dependant on weather, nothing is guaranteed. If everything goes perfect I'll swim August 23rd. Ideally I would LOVE to swim on August 24th as that would be the 133rd anniversary of Captain Matthew Webb's first official crossing of the Channel. Very exciting. Realistically, weather has been a bit of a challenge over there right now so I would just like the opportunity to get in the water and swim!!!

As we get closer I get a bit more nervous (a good nervous) and a bit more excited! I am thrilled I get the chance to do this and am so excited to attempt the swim. I know that the wave can be blown out and I may not even get the opportunity to swim but I'm going to channel (no pun intended) positive thoughts and pray for good weather.

One thing that is VERY important...I could not have gotten to where I am today without a host of support. I wanted to take the time to thank you all as you have been amazing inside and out!!!

Jaime, Deni and Mom: Thank you for all of your support!!! I can't thank you enough for spending all the cash and time dedicating yourselves to helping me achieve my dreams. I don't want you guys to make the swim with me...I NEED you guys to make the swim with me. I can't do it without you and I am honored you are a part of the team. You have no idea how much I depend on you guys! Thank you for your support and for keeping me sane! I love you!!! THANK YOU!!!

Dad, Marc and Kevin: I know, I know...you think I'm freakin crazy...I won't dispute that one bit!!! Dad, I definitely got your genes!!! Thank you for your support and sharing in the excitement with us. I wish you guys could be there!!! I love you!!!

Liz: Thank you for the day in and day out...get up off your butt and come train with me!!!! You kept me focused, constantly kicked my butt and prepared me mentally for the challenge ahead. I couldn't have done this without you! Thank you for your patience, your no BS attitude and your constant inspiration. You have been a great friend!!! The past two years have been quite a ride. Go tackle the challenge ahead of you and we'll celebrate when we get back!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Marcy, Jim, Dennis and George: You guys have been absolutely amazing from day one!!! You all are my inspiration!! Thank you for sharing your passion, advice, mental strength, wisdom and really crazy stories!!! Maybe one day I can be elevated from rookie status and play with the big kids :) Thank you for everything! Love you guys!!! Go getem George!!! You can do it!!!

Cheryl and Laura: I can't thank you both enough for being there for me throughout the past two years. You guys have been there through the VERY good and the VERY bad! Thank you for being the shoulders to cry on and the drinking buddies to laugh with. Thank you for all your support and constant "offering" to kayak...yes Cheryl I will be laughing across the Channel at you flipping the kayak at Watch Hill!!! You guys have been great friends!!! Thank you!!!

Jared, Jeremy and Grant: Seriously, you guys kept me honest and kicked my butt day in and day out. Thanks for the support and the fast paced swims. You guys are wonderful and I would be slow as a turtle if you guys didn't push me. Thank you!

Lynne and David: Team Austin!!! I look back at our adventures and laugh every time! From swimming in ice cold water for 4 hours to 3am drop times!! I am so thankful I met people so liked minded. You both are crazy and so much fun!! Lynne...thank you for all the long talks and really opening up my mind to this open water swimming thing. I still remember the day you said, "Come on...swim the English Channel too" You were the one to help throw me over the hurdle, the reason I called Dave and decided to go for it. Thank you for the gentle push and the support ever since. You guys are truly incredible!!!

Suzie, Leslie, Sally, Carol, Kevin and Anne: I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet you all. Thank you for all of your support and advice. It has really been so valuable!!! Thank you!!

More to come...


No comments: